Frugal Watch No. 100 (the Frugal Watch Newsletter)

frugalwatch at mailman.japaninc.com frugalwatch at mailman.japaninc.com
Mon Jan 22 11:06:29 JST 2007

* * * * * * * * F R U G A L  W A T C H * * * * * * * *
A weekly roundup of how to be frugal in the world's most
expensive country to live (unless you read this!), written
and compiled by Wendy J. Imura.

January 7th, 2006 Issue No. 100

***** Happy Hundredth! Radical Frugality & More ****
- Credits

----------- wwwjapaninc.com -------------------------
Check out our brand new website where you can read and even
post comments on your favorite newsletters and Japan Inc
magazine online. Don't be left behind! Use www.japaninc.com
to get the latest news on Japan. Find the information on
Japan you need with over 5 million words of archived text.
www.japaninc.com

***** Happy Hundredth: Radical Frugality and More ****

Dear Frugalites,

First of all, please help me celebrate a bit - we've finally
reached issue No. 100! Maybe you're a new subscriber, and this
is the first issue of Frugal Watch you've ever read. Maybe you've
been with me since the beginning (March 13, 2004 - in case you're
curious). Whatever the case - here's a cheery 'kanpai' to this
not-so-shabby accomplishment.

I've had some major life changes in the last two-and-a-half years:
quitting a job, starting a company, major cross-country move,
and a new baby (now toddler!). Frugal Watch, once a like-clockwork
weekly e-zine, is now dissapointingly sporadic, written during
fleeting naptimes or late in the evening. I've also made a few
steps in my own frugal journey: surviving the lean months with
little income during my maternity leave, descent into overspending
from overwork, and hopefully now a return to more dedicated budget
control. The good news: we're out of debt, mostly! The bad news:
we're also a little slim on savings.  My goals for 2007 include
eliminating the former altogether and increasing the latter.

Through it all, I've gained and learned from doing Frugal Watch.
Occaisonally, I even meet someone who reads the e-zine and enjoys
it, and for those people - Thank You! For those that delete me
on first sight in your inbox - Don't worry! I understand. I do the
same to the majority of my newsletters as well.

Today, in addition to celebration, I wanted to introduce a new
breed of Frugalite I've found that might provide some fodder for
inspiration and/or amusement. Frugality, it seems, is much more
hip than it was when I started the Frugal Japan community back in
2002. As with any movement, there are a wide range of participants.
There are people that are mildly interested (frugal observers),
folks like me (the modestly frugal) - and then there are folks like
Brown Dress Girl. (www.littlebrowndress.com)

Actually, Brown Dress Girl is extremely cool. (If you didn't click
on the link above, know that Brown Dress Girl spend an entire
calendar year wearing a *single* brown dress that she made. She
layered during winter, washed it many times, and of course replaced
the buttons, but she spent an entire year without buying any new
clothing. A deviant, brilliant social statement.) She, and the
other urban homesteading, dumpster-diving, dryer-lint saving crew
are what I term the Radically Frugal. They're vocal, driven, and
... actually, quite an inspiration.

The start of a new year is an excellent time to wipe away a past
of financial mistakes and start afresh. And heck, even if your well-
intentioned goals only last a few weeks - you're still a few weeks
better off financially than you were before! So, to get your frugal
drive in gear, I offer below links to a few Radically Frugal persons
and websites I thought might inspire you. As with anything, take
the recommendations with a shaker of salt. I'm not suggesting we
all follow their paths (I certainly couldn't), but perhaps one
step in the direction of radical frugality might be worthwhile.

Radical Frugalites/Frugal Sites
1) Judith Levine (www.judithlevine.com)
Author of "Not Buying It - My Year Without Shopping"
2) Dumpster World (http://www.dumpsterworld.com/)
No, I'm not kidding. It has over 3400 members.
3) Freeganism (http://freegan.info)
Frankly, these folks sound a bit extreme. But there is
a good philosophy (in moderation) here worth looking at.
4) Urban Homesteading (http://www.urban-homesteading.com/)
This sounds more do-able - and very fun!
5) Earthaven (http://tinyurl.com/ye6jjp)
Eco-commune in the North Carolina mountains

Enjoy, and happy frugal New Year!

Frugally yours,
Wendy J. Imura

BiOS IT Support Services

Introduce some discipline and control to your IT infrastructure
by getting a quotation from BiOS for J-E bilingual support and
engineering. With 50+ engineers, we have the size and experience
to look after most sites and projects. Whether you have one
person or one hundred, we welcome all customers.

For more info: technology at biosjp.com.
http://www.biosjp.com

The J at pan Inc magazine currently has an internship opening
for a web programmer.
The Intern will assist the Design Manager with design
programming in the HTML, CSS, PHP languages at the Japan Inc
Communications office twice a week and be reimbursed for
travel. For further information, contact Naomi Shirogane
(03-3499-2099; interns at japaninc.com)
In need of frugal, yet convenient, translation services for
visas or passport paperwork? Occams Inc.'s affiliate service,
Nihongo Benriya, provides affordable, quick-turnaround service
for koseki tohon (family registry) translations, marriage certificates,
drivers' licenses, and even automobile registration/export paperwork.
Visit www.nihongobenriya.com for more information!

Subscribers: 1,105 as of Nobember 9, 2005

                   END
+++ ABOUT US

STAFF
Written by: Wendy J. Imura (frugalwatch at japaninc.com)
Edited by: JI

Copyright 2005 Japan Inc. Communications