JIN-408 -- Catching a Kubariya with His Hand in the Mail Slot

jin at mailman.japaninc.com jin at mailman.japaninc.com
Wed Mar 28 11:55:29 JST 2007

J at pan Inc Magazine Presents:
JAPAN INC NEWSLETTER
Commentary on Japan's culture, economy and society
Issue No. 408
Wednesday March 28, 2007 TOKYO

Join 29,642 subscribers of JIN for FREE:
http://www.japaninc.com/newsletters/free_sign_up

-- Entrepreneur Association of Tokyo - Tuesday, April 3rd --

Speaker: Chuck Wilson, Managing Director and founder of
Chuck Wilson Enterprises Inc.
Presentation Title:
'Pitfalls of the Western Entrepreneur in Japan'

This coming April, local fitness professional and media
talent, Chuck Wilson will be talking about the ups and
downs of being a western entrepreneur in Japan.
Please sign-up early to reserve your seat.

Date/Time: Tuesday, April 3rd 7:00 pm
Location: City Club of Tokyo - Maple Room
(Canadian Embassy Complex)
Language: English
Website: http://www.ea-tokyo.com
Email: info at ea-tokyo.com

CONTENTS:
@@ VIEWPOINT: Catching a Kubariya with His Hand
                                 in the Mail Slot

I had never seen a 'kubariya,' but I knew they existed.

For me the kubariya was an unidentified mysterious animal
(UMA) in which I fervidly believed, just as some Japanese
believe in the existence of the 'kappa,' a mischievous
water sprite with a saucerlike object on its head. It was
perhaps 10 years ago that I stumbled across a conference of
kappa researchers in a hotel in the hot spring resort of
Gero, Gifu Prefecture. And a friend witnessed a hunt
for the tsuchinoko,  a fat snakelike creature, in, I
believe, Okayama Prefecture. None were bagged that day.

Although I had never seen a kubariya, I sometimes heard them
working. The mail slot snapped open, something plunked to
the bottom of the box, and the slot creaked close on its
hinges. When I opened the box, I found it stuffed with
flyers for pizza shops and condos (a conjunction perhaps
sociologists and economists can explain). I interpreted this
as evidence kubariya exist. Similarly colorful flyers
protruded from the postbox under the stairs like tabloids
and sports papers spiraling from racks in a station kiosk.

If I kept a bird, I could use the flyers to line its cage.
But I've no use for flyers. I carefully separate them from
mail and throw them in the garbage. The trouble, the cost
of the garbage bags, and the harm of the extra trash to
the environment led me to dislike kubariya.

I tired of the endless flyers pouring into the mail slot
and poking out of the mail box. I was not alone. I had heard
of measures to keep out kubariya and seen signs asking they
keep away. Finally, I could bear it no longer. I resolved
to catch a kubariya.

One evening I heard the mail slot open. I quickly got up
from my desk at the rear of the office and hurried to the
entryway. I threw open the door. A young man stood there.
I opened the back of the box and removed a flyer for a
condo. As I thrust it at him, I said, 'I don't need
this.'

He stood dead still, like a deer caught in the
headlights of a car. I saw his ill-fitting suit and
briefcase, which seemed heavy with flyers. It's also tough
being a kubariya, I thought. He was no longer an
unidentified mysterious animal; he was like me.

In spite of myself, I said, 'Thanks for your trouble.'

  -- Burritt Sabin

Anti Money Laundering - Terrorist Financing -
Due Diligence and Know Your Customer Training

T&T Technologies, a company focused on delivering
compliance and corporate governance training and testing
on-line, announces the newest course in its
financial compliance library. This is a complete training
course, offered in both English and Japanese, including FSA
and Japanese requirements, case studies and real world
examples, etc.

-Quality Content is essential for effective training and T&T
content is specifically developed, in partnership with a major
Japanese financial institution, for banks operating in Japan
-No Privacy or Network Security issues as the training is
provided through ID numbers on a very secure ASP model
-Cost Effective as pricing includes ALL costs (delivery,
hosting, storage, reporting and maintenance)
-Bilingual Content (English and Japanese)
-Administration and reporting is on demand, 7x24, and very
user friendly
-Customized Reports are also available
-Customized Corporate site open all year for all new
employees to easily access

For more information on the above course contact
Greg Kaufman at T&T Technologies at:
gkaufman at tandttech.com or at 090-6655-7738

Japan's First Family Social Network is here! www.piqniq.jp

Are you raising a family in Japan? Do you speak English?
Would you like to meet other English speaking families in
your area? Piqniq is a Social Network Service tailored
specifically for you!
Our concept is "Families helping Families" and we invite
anyone that wants to meet other families, help other families,
or discuss family-related issues pertinent to life in Japan
to come and join the Piqniq today!

For more information: www.piqniq.jp

CHECK OUT OUR OTHER JAPAN-SPECIFIC NEWSLETTERS
http://www.japaninc.com/newsletters_main_page
ADVERTISING INFORMATION
To advertise in this newsletter, contact:
ads at japaninc.com
GET THE MAGAZINE
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_subscriptions
FEEDBACK AND PROBLEMS
We welcome your viewpoint:
editors at japaninc.com
(NB Please do not reply to this newsletter --
it's outgoing only, so we won't get it!)
TECHNICAL PROBLEMS: webmaster at japaninc.com
(C) Copyright 2007 Japan Inc Communications KK.
All Rights Reserved.