JIN-498 -- Self-sufficiency finds its way onto the agenda

jin at mailman.japaninc.com jin at mailman.japaninc.com
Wed Jan 28 23:48:12 JST 2009

Every PBXL wireless phone comes standard with:
a big color screen,
a 03 Tokyo number,
voicemail,
and more!

Everything you expect from the best office phone system
on the market.

Call today! 03-4550-2557
Get your new phone system in 3 steps: http://www.pbxl.jp/plans

PBXL is Hosted Business Telephony
Monthly seminars at Cisco HQ: http://www.pbxl.jp/seminarstt
More about PBXL: http://www.pbxl.jp/aboutus2

J at pan Inc Newsletter
The 'JIN' J at pan Inc Newsletter
A weekly opinion piece on social, economic and political trends
in Japan.
Issue No. 498 Wednesday January 28, 2009, Tokyo

On Tuesday the government made an important step towards improving the
self-sustainability of the nation when Agriculture, Forestry and
Fisheries Minister Shigeru Ishiba requested the drafting of a new farm
policy. The policy may see an end to the practice of curtailing the
nation's rice production, a long-standing practice that was put in
place to ensure prices remained high.

>From a purely selfish point-of-view I'm sure all of us would be happy
to see the price of rice drop. While I myself am not too fussy (I tend
to gravitate towards the more generic packaging), for those who are
more discerning, rice always seems like a ridiculously over-priced
necessity.

At the heart of the policy, of course are votes - the main concern.
The government, ever wary of the power of the rural vote, has
consistently kept the prices high and meanwhile subsidized the
farmers. Also the less land used for farming, the more land used for
other businesses such as manufacturing. Some farmers, however, have
remained critical of the policy and according to reports, the minority
who have defied the policy, have still managed to get their rice to
markets in urban areas.

But as self-sustainability becomes an increasingly dangerous concern,
it seems the government has finally decided it is time to change the
policy. Japan, the tiny island nation with the giant-sized output
(cars, technology etc) needs to feed the fire. Minerals from places
such as Australia and Brazil keep the manufacturers fed while rice
from countries like Thailand plug the gap in the nation's dietary
needs.

Forty years ago Japan's self-sufficiency rate was 70 percent. At
present it is only 40 percent. By 2017, the government plans to have
increased the rate to 50 percent. The new farm policy, which, after a
year of discussions, will be handed to the government, will form a big
part of this new drive for reduced reliance on imports.

Darrell Nelson from the Anaheim University Kisho Kurokawa Green
Institute, covered the issue in the Winter issue of J at pan Inc
magazine. Nelson quoted research by Dr Kouyu Furasawa, a professor of
ecological economics at Kokugakuin University.  He said that 700 to
800 million tons of goods, food included, are imported into Japan
annually. Japan accepts about 20 percent of the total amount of goods
that are shipped by sea globally each year. This is considerable when
it is taken into account that the nation only takes up about 0.2
percent of the world's land and around 2 percent of the world's
population.

Much has been made by companies on their progress in becoming
eco-friendly, but there is a long, long way to go - if the nation's
food self-suffiency seems bad, think about its energy
self-sufficiency. In the 1960s it was about 56 percent, the last
statistics, compiled in 2000, put it at about 4 percent.

The government's move on Tuesday needs to be recognized as a step in
the right direction. An increase in food self-sufficiency by 10
percent in 10 years seems ambitious, but it is necessary. It will be
another year until we see what concrete initiatives the advisory board
hands down. And the reforms won't be in place until 2010. I'll be
sticking to the imported Thai rice until then, I think.

Michael Condon
Editor-in-chief

------------------ Marketing Services ---------------------

The J at pan Inc Marketing department offers
marketing and translation services to help companies
enhance their performance internationally.

Our services include:

- Professional translation and localization
- Catch copy writing
- Modern, stylish design work
- Effective PR solutions
- Targeted direct marketing

Backed by solid marketing and design experts, our staff can
provide a total creative solution, including brand enhancing
brochures, annual reports, and advertising.

A synergized concept across a broad range of media ensures
effectiveness, efficiency and performance.

Contact: marketing at japaninc.com for more details.

東京マラソンランナーの皆さん!がんと闘っている子供たちとその家族を
サポートする非営利団体タイラー基金の"シャインオン チャレンジ"の
募金を募ってます。 オリンピックランナー山口マーラさんは、"シャインオン
チャレンジ"のメインサポーターです。詳しくは:
www.tylershineon.org/

Tokyo Marathon Runners! We need help! Raise funds for children with
cancer and their families. Join the Tyler Foundation's "Shine On!
Challenge". supported by Olympic Runner Mara Yamauchi. More info:
www.tylershineon.org/

----------------- Web Hosting in Japan --------------------

With prices comparable to those available in the US, and a
full range of hosting services, there is no need to put up with
slow-downloading websites hosted overseas anymore.

With nearly 10 years experience in the Japanese market,
Tsukaeru.net provides great value for money to both the
Japanese and English speaking clients.
We provide low cost shared hosting accounts from just 210
yen per month,to fully managed complex hosting.

Customers moving from our competitors receive
up to JPY10,000 cashback on completion of migration.

http://tsukaeru.net/en
Isao 050-3533-8241

Start a Company in Japan

Entrepreneur's Handbook Seminar 14th of Feb, 2009

If you have been considering setting up your own company,
find out what it takes to make it successful.
Terrie Lloyd, founder of over 13 start-up companies in Japan,
will be giving an English-language seminar and Q and A on
starting up a company in Japan.
This is an ideal opportunity to find out what is involved,
and to ask specific questions that are not normally answered
in business books.
All materials are in English and are Japan-focused.

For more details:
http://www.japaninc.com/entrepreneur_handbook_seminar

Speaker: Martin Hoy, Senior Manager of Sales, EIRE Systems K.K.

Title: Successful IT Outsourcing

Details: Complete event details at http://www.icajapan.jp/
(RSVP Required)

Date: Thursday, Feb 19, 2009
Time: 6:30 Doors open, buffet dinner included, cash bar
Cost: 4,000 yen (members), 6,000 yen (non-members)
Open to all: The venue is The Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan
http://www.fccj.or.jp/aboutus/map