Terrie's Take special notice -- Choir Seeking an Audience

Terrie's Take terrie at mailman.japaninc.com
Tue Jul 24 23:23:29 JST 2012

* * * * * * * * * T E R R I E 'S T A K E * * * * * * *
A special notice from Terrie Lloyd, July 24, 2012
(http://www.terrie.com)

We seldom send special notices because we know our readers
lead busy lives. Indeed, the last time was shortly after
the 3/11 earthquake, to reassure people abroad that Tokyo
was still OK.

However, tonight's notice is for a good reason -- being
that a talented choir, the Choir of St. John's College of
Cambridge, UK, is arriving in Tokyo for concerts on Friday
and Saturday but through no fault of its own finds itself
short on audience numbers. We said we'd help out. The
announcement is as follows:

The Choir of St John’s College, Cambridge
Tour of Japan—2012 Festival Concert Series

After an interval of 12 years the Choir of St John’s
College, Cambridge, is delighted to be back in Japan to
sing concerts in Tokyo, Kanagawa, Kyoto and Kobe. The tour
follows the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations in June
and coincides with the opening of the 2012 London Olympic
Games. While the spotlight is on the world’s leading
athletes in London, this world-famous choir is bringing the
best of the choral tradition from Britain to Japan.

The choir will be performing a wide range of works from
their repertoire, and hope that their singing will provide
some comfort to the people who have suffered as a result of
the terrible earthquake and tsunami in the Tohoku last
year.

The British Government intends to strengthen cultural links
with Japan in the same way that it has developed strong
links in the fields of science and technology. In this
context the tour was planned with the full support and
cooperation of the British Embassy in Tokyo and the
Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The audiences attending last weekend’s concerts at Otsuma
Hall and Kanagawa Prefecture Concert Hall were visibly
moved by the beauty and perfection of the performances by
the men and boys. Many said that they would be returning to
hear the choir again this weekend.

The two remaining concerts in Tokyo:
Friday 27 July 2012, 7 pm at Tokyo Opera City Concert Hall
Sunday 29 July 2012, 2 pm at Suntory Hall

Tickets are available from Sound Gallery
By email:  sound-g at ss.iij4u.or.jp
Also by tel. 03-3351-4041 (limited times) fax. 03-3351-4743

Links:

http://www.sjcchoir.co.uk/home
http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/choir-tour-japan
https://sites.google.com/site/stjohnschoirjapantour2012/