Terrie's Take 689 -- Traveling On and Rating Jetstar Japan

Terrie's Take terrie at mailman.japaninc.com
Mon Dec 3 08:19:12 JST 2012

Submitted by terrie on November 19, 2012
* * * * * * * * * T E R R I E 'S T A K E * * * * * * *
A weekly roundup of news & information from Terrie Lloyd.
(http://www.terrie.com)

General Edition Sunday, Dec 02, 2012, Issue No. 689

- What's New -- Traveling On and Rating Jetstar Japan
- News -- JAXA loses rocket data to "virus"
- Upcoming Events
- Corrections/Feedback -- Sony Off-Balance Sheet Payments
- Travel Picks -- Ancient inns in Aichi, Kites in Shizuoka
- News Credits

SUBSCRIBE to, UNSUBSCRIBE from Terrie's Take at:

BACK ISSUES
http://www.japaninc.com/terries_take, or,
http://mailman.japaninc.com/pipermail/terrie/

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-PBXL Managed Cisco Services-=-=-=-=-=-=--=

After delivering the first hosted Cisco PBX offering in
Japan, PBXL has found a number of companies prefer to own
their own equipment. As such, PBXL offers a fully managed,
data center based Cisco Call Manager/UCM solution, carrier
management and/or as well Japan gateway set-up and
installation services. If you are looking for Cisco voice,
contact PBXL today!
http://www.pbxl.co.jp/en/services/cisco-managed-services/

PBXL Managed Cisco Voice--because PBXL is Business
Communications

+++ WHAT'S NEW

Having heard so much about foreign LCCs changing the face
of air travel in Japan, when the wife recently had to go
take care of some family business in her hometown, we
decided to pack up the whole family and fly via an LCC. Our
destination was Kitakyushu, but you don't get cheap flights
without some inconvenience and for Kyushu the only airport
being served by Jetstar and AirAsia is Fukuoka, about 45
minutes drive to the south. The clincher for us was when
Jetstar coincidentally ran a "20% off" campaign the week
before we wanted to go. They run these on a regular basis
and are worth watching for.

Certainly it is the pricing that is the biggest attraction
of the LCCs. For our trip for a family of four, we'd
normally have taken Star Flyer, Kitakyushu's own local
airline, which was notable six years ago for cutting the
prevailing ANA/JAL fares in half. Star Flyer has done a
pretty good job keeping its pricing at the same level
despite fuel increases and other economic setbacks,
however, it does mean that a return airfare goes for
between JPY25,000 and JPY40,000. The lower end of the price
range comes from whether you are willing to book 28 days
ahead and give them your money for that period.

Now, JPY25,000 for a 2 1/2 hour journey return isn't bad,
but, my, how things have changed now that the foreign LCCs
are here.

How much did we pay for a Jetstar fare for a similar route?
"Nan-to, just JPY8,000 per person return." So doing the
math, for a family of four, we spent JPY32,000 on Jetstar
compared with JPY100,000 for Star Flyer (or JPY240,000 on
ANA's "tokuwari" economy class). OK, there were other costs
as well, since LCCs, as mentioned, are inconvenient.
However, in the current economic environment Jetstar and
other LCCs have suddenly made it possible for a family like
us to simply hop on a plane a few days after booking it and
go see another part of the world cheaply.

[Continued below...]

------------------ Moblize Your Website -------------------

According to Bloomberg, 18% of all purchases on Cyber
Monday 2012 were made on mobile devices, and this was up
70% over last year. Given that next year the percentage of
mobile sales will probably exceed 30%, it's time for your
firm to seriously consider "moblizing" your existing
website.

Japan Partnership, the new publisher of Metropolis
magazine, has in-house expertise on mobilizing existing
websites, and would be happy to offer a free-of-charge
quotations to make your websites usable on mobile devices.

For more details, contact sales at metropolis.co.jp

[...Article continues]

JetStar has a pretty good booking website at
http://www.jetstar.com/jp/en/home. It's available in both
English and Japanese and is intuitive and easy-to-use,
although it does have some wrong Japanese
explanations/translations. You can see that they have
learned from their existing overseas operations just how
customers want to use a website and despite the occasional
Japanese mistakes, it's much easier to find flight deals
than, say, on the ANA website.

After the excitement of seeing the savings, probably the
next emotion we experienced was concern about
reliability and punctuality. The Japanese media have done
their best to highlight every minor transgression of the
LCCs as they get going in Japan, and while we don't
believe there is any hidden agenda behind this intense
coverage, other than Japanese conservatism, nonetheless
such reports do give you some anxiety as a consumer.

For example Jetstar was in the news several weeks back,
when the company bumped several flights due to a government
reprimand over maintenance issues. They did the right
thing by providing alternative travel arrangements and
refunds to the affected passengers, but still, you don't
want to hear that your carrier may have basic operations
problems. So we couldn't help wondering just how reliable
they would be for us, particularly as we had to get back to
work on time for an important client meeting.

Other considerations in deciding whether to try Jetstar or
not included having to depart from far-off Narita airport,
and having to either stay out at Narita for the evening in
order to catch the early morning flights, or get up very,
very early and drive yourself out there. In the end,
though, we decided that you just can't beat those prices.

For the Fukuoka route, there are four return flights a day.
The afternoon flights fill up pretty much straight away, so
we were left with a morning departure, being either 06:00am
(I don't think so...) or a slightly more civilized 07:15am.
After some debate and web searching, we decided to drive
out to the airport and stay at a low cost hotel -- to match
our low cost airline. :-) This worked out really well and
we got two rooms at Solare's Narita Mercure hotel for just
JPY8,000. Add this to the airfare, and we were still 50%
ahead of a direct Star Flyer fare.

Although the Mercure was comfortable enough, in retrospect,
next time we will probably forego the hotel and simply
drive out to Narita. Traffic at that time of the morning
isn't so bad and parking for the car worked out to just
over JPY1,000/day at the airport. It's even cheaper
(JPY500/day) if you park at one of the many long-term
parking sites there. Since so many international flights
have now diverted to the more convenient Haneda airport,
the car parking companies are hurting and are cutting some
pretty good park-and-bus options.

At the other end, in Fukuoka, we rented a small compact car
(Nissan) for JPY5,000 a day, to get up to Kitakyushu and to
putt around the city for a week. We could have taken a
train up north for about JPY1,500/person, but even with
this luxury, we still came out financially ahead of the
Star Flyer rate.

After all the concerns and expectations, the flights
themselves went quite well. Yes the outbound plane left 30
minutes late, and Jetstar would do well to have its staff
post notices for restless passengers to let them know when
the expected departure time would be and hopefully why. In
our case the Captain told us on the plane later that it was
snowing in Hokkaido, which was acceptable -- we just wanted
to know why back in the waiting area.

The check in went smoothly and even our truck load of bags
(20kg per person) didn't phase the check-in ladies. The
kiosks and ticket technologies were all the latest
equipment and worked smoothly, and so checking us in was a
simple bar code swipe. Having to bus out to the plane, a
special torture inflicted by Japanese airport operators on
ALL LCCs and small airlines in general, was a pain -- but
this goes with the territory.

Most interesting for us was checking out who our fellow
passengers were on this mid-week, early-morning flight. You
had your green/purple dyed hair college types, grey haired
couples, mothers with little kids with no hair, and pretty
much anyone else looking for low-cost transport. What we
didn't see was many salarymen, although they were abundant
on other regular ANA and JAL flights also leaving from
Narita's domestic terminal. We can only imagine that the HR
departments of major Japanese companies haven't wised up to
the fact that they can reduce travel costs dramatically
with an LCC. What was good for Jetstar, though, is that
about 70% of the seats were full.

Our overall first-time traveler rating for Jetstar is that
they offer great value and despite the occasional teething
problems look to have a good operation -- certainly the
staff were very friendly. We will definitely be traveling
with them again, although for our next trip we might try
out AirAsia to see how they measure up.

As a general note, We think that just as with the mobile
telephone business in the 1990's it is up to the public to
support these new carriers so that they will grow and
thrive. Softbank lowered cell phone costs dramatically
thanks to early adopter support and the LCCs now promise
to do the same for air travel, if given a chance. This is
not only good for us as consumers but also for the regional
areas served by these operators, since money saved on the
flights gets spent there.

Additionally, we hope that the success of the Tokyo-Fukuoka
route, basically a non-tourist commuter route, gets noticed
by other prefectures whose economies are hurting but which
don't seem inclined to make it easy for foreign LCCs to fly
there. For example, the four prefectures in Shikoku, which
right now are unique among Japan's 5 main islands in
having no LCC service whatsoever.

...The information janitors/

***------------------------****-------------------------***

---------------------- Delta Air Lines --------------------

ENJOY 3% ONLINE SAVINGS AT DELTA.COM

Delta wants to reward you with an additional 3% online
saving for flights from Japan to destinations within Asia,
and to the Americas, Hawaii, or Micronesia.

Here’s how to redeem this exclusive online offer*:
1.  Go to "Redeem Certificate" page and enter WYAVE4GD into
the Certificate Number field.
2.  Enter Redemption Code ADFH9EBHQ.
3.  Search for your flights. Search result will show
Certificate Applied for the discount before booking is
completed.

For more details, please visit delta.com

* Terms and conditions apply. Please visit delta.com for
full details. (http://bit.ly/T9c8M1)

All SkyMiles program rules apply to SkyMiles program
membership, miles, offers, mile accrual, mile redemption,
and travel benefits. The rules are subject to change
anytime. To review the rules, please visit
delta.com/memberguide.

+++ NEWS

- Pension fund earns JPY529bn from foreign stocks
- Kokuyo moves its workers to the cloud
- JAXA loses rocket data to "virus"
- Japanese spend most on Google appstore
- Japanese flocking to Hawaii again

=> Pension fund earns JPY529bn from foreign stocks

The Government Pension Investment Fund (GPIF), the world's
largest, has reported that thanks to increased value in its
foreign stock holdings it earned JPY528.7bn of income in Q2
of this fiscal year, significantly better than the
JPY2.06trn loss booked for the first quarter. Unfortunately
the good news wasn't due to any significant action by the
GPIF but rather thanks to the declining value of the yen
causing an increase in the value of its foreign holdings.
Nonetheless, interesting to see that GPIF's holdings of
foreign stocks returned 4.87% while holdings of Japanese
stocks returned -3.43%. (Source: TT commentary from
e.nikkei.com, Dec 01, 2012)

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20121130D3011N01.htm

=> Kokuyo moves its workers to the cloud

Office furniture maker Kokuyo has announced that it is
turning its employees into a "mobil-ized" worforce -- but
we sense a little bit of irony here. Kokuyo says that they
are going to switch all 6,000 employees to cloud-based
email (Google) and to give out 1,000 tablets and 3,000
smart phones. ***Ed: Presumably this means that the
workforce can now work without being in the office. But
we wonder if Kokuyo has thought this through? After all,
if the experiment is successful enough that their clients
start to copy them, then the demand for office furniture
(the little irony we mentioned) is going to drop
substantially in the future. Yes, cheaper home office
furniture might be in demand, but that is the domain of the
likes of Ikea and Nitori, rather than Kokuyo. So what
secret plan does this cunning furniture company have up
their sleeve? Should be interesting to watch.** (Source: TT
commentary from e.nikkei.com, Dec 01, 2012)

http://e.nikkei.com/e/ac/tnks/Nni20121130D3011A07.htm?GID=56

=> JAXA loses rocket data to "virus"

Kind of concerning the Japan's space agency, JAXA, has said
that it suspects sensitive information on its
next-generation rocket, the Epsilon, and which could be
used for military purposes, has been "stolen by a computer
virus". Probably they meant to say that it's been stolen by
someone who planted the virus in the first place. But on
the other hand it could have just been an accident. We
guess the situation will become clearer in 3 years time, if
the new Epsilon design shows up on someone else's launch
pad. Also interesting to see that Epsilon can be launched
from a PC connected over the Internet -- why would they be
wanting to do that on a US$100m+ per rocket project? In
case someone gets stuck in traffic or wants to do a launch
from their bedroom? (Source: TT commentary from
computerworld.com, Nov 30, 2012)

http://bit.ly/TxXAqd

=> Japanese spend most on Google appstore

Mobile applications intelligence firm App Annie has said
that its latest App Annie Index for Google Play puts the
country with the most apps purchases as being Japan,
overtaking the USA for the first time. The AA Index had
Japanese consumers being responsible for 29% of Google's
appstore revenue, followed by U.S. consumers at 26%.
According to AA, the reason is because 90% of the top
apps sold are games and Japanese games companies are better
at making money from mobile devices than other developers.
(Source: TT commentary from zdnet.com, Nov 30, 2012)

http://zd.net/Smjnzb

=> Japanese flocking to Hawaii again

Remember back when Hawaii was lamenting the dramatic
fall-off in Japanese tourists? Looks like the new trend is
for them to start traveling back to the magic isles again.
According to statistics from the Hawaii Tourism Authority
this week, Japan was Hawaii's second largest visitor
market, after the U.S. West Coast, and in front of the U.S.
East Coast (which for some reason gets counted separately).
There were 125,742 visitors from Japan, up 15.2% over
October 2011, and they spent US$329 per person per day, up
4% over the same period last year. Apparently charter tours
were one of the big contributors to the growth and will
continue to be for next year. (Source: TT commentary from
bizjournals.com, Nov 29, 2012)

http://bit.ly/UgWpsP

NOTE: Broken links
Some online news sources remove their articles after just a
few days of posting them, thus breaking our links -- we
apologize for the inconvenience.

***------------------------****-------------------------***

------------- Japanese Travel Writers wanted -------------

Do you know someone who can write native-level Japanese and
who is interested in travel? The JapanTourist.jp division
of Metropolis KK has two brand name clients in the tourism
sector who need to have a substantial number of travel
articles written about Japan. These are paid positions.

While professional writers are welcome, the JapanTourist.jp
project is a writer community set up for talented amateurs
to have a forum to test their skills. Therefore, we welcome
housewives, retired people, and Japanese living overseas
who would like to re-connect with their home country.

All work can be done from your own home, with stories and
editing discussions taking place by email and through the
JapanTourist.jp backend dashboard and associated tools.

Interested writers may contact JapanTourist at:

http://japantourist.jp/register/, or at:
support at japantourist.jp

+++ CANDIDATE ROUND UP/VACANCIES

=> BiOS, a Division of the LINC Media group, is actively
marketing the following positions for customers setting up
or expanding in Japan, as well as other employers of
bilinguals.

** HIGHLIGHTED POSITION

BiOS is urgently looking for an Administrative Assistant to
join our multinational IT outsourcing team here at BiOS, in
Tokyo. The successful candidate will be responsible for
providing daily administrative support to sales and
dispatched IT staff, as well as for coordinating with HR
and accounting teams to create invoices to be sent to
clients. In addition, you would support senior
administrative staff for office management tasks, welcome
guests, and perform some translation if required.

This position is suitable for someone with at least one
year of administration or sales support experience in a
multinational environment. In addition, given the constant
communication with foreigners and Japanese alike,
business-level English and native Japanese are required.

Remuneration is JPY2M - JPY3M depending on your experience
and skill level.

** POSITIONS VACANT

- Network Engr, global DC services provider, JPY 5M - 8M
- Software Asset Manager, global bank, JPY4.5M - JPY5.5M
- IMAC Engineer, global bank in Tokyo, JPY3M - JPY5M
- Data Center Engr (Cabling), global DC co., JPY5M - JPY6M
- Project Mgr, international IT company, JPY5.4M - JPY7M

** BiOS Job Mail

Every 2 weeks BiOS sends out a regular communication to its
job seeking candidates, called BiOS Job Mail. Every edition
carries a list of BiOS's current and most up-to-date
vacancies, with each entry featuring a short job
description and a direct link to the main entry on the BiOS
home page. Regardless of whether you are unemployed and
searching, thinking about a career change, or just curious
to know if there is something out there that might suit you
better, the BiOS Job Mail newsletter is an easy and
convenient way for you to stay informed. If you would like
to register for the BiOS Job Mail, or to find out more,
please email jason.kisling at biosjp.com.

Interested individuals may e-mail resumes to:
jason.kisling at biosjp.com and check out the BiOS web page
for other jobs: http://www.biosjp.com/positions.php

***------------------------****-------------------------***

+++ UPCOMING EVENTS/ANNOUNCEMENTS

---------------- Go Global? it's not a joke! --------------

SunBridge Global Ventures, Inc. and Venture Now, Inc. have
created a entrepreneur competition to help Japanese
startups to become global thinkers and players. All
competitors have been through a grueling series of
mentoring sessions and pitch presentations. Now we're down
to the final 8 contestants, with the winner receiving a
trip to the Plug and Play Expo in Silicon Valley.

Who will the winner be? Find out by coming along.