Terrie's Take 876 -- DeNA and the Economics of (Not) Publishing Trustworthy Content, e-biz news from Japan

Terrie's Take terrie at mailman.japaninc.com
Mon Dec 5 00:31:31 JST 2016

* * * * * * * * TERRIE'S TAKE - BY TERRIE LLOYD * * * * * *
A weekly roundup of news & information from Terrie Lloyd, a long-term
technology and media entrepreneur living in Japan.
(http://www.terrielloyd.com)

General Edition Sunday, December 04, 2016, Issue No. 876

- What's New -- DeNA and the Economics of (Not) Publishing Trustworthy
Content
- News -- Lifetime ramen discount for elderly who give up licenses
- Upcoming Events
- Corrections/Feedback -- Chinese tourist behavior
- Travel Picks -- Grave-hunting in Sendai, Lee Ufan in Naoshima
- News Credits

SUBSCRIBE to, UNSUBSCRIBE from Terrie's Take at:

BACK ISSUES
http://www.japaninc.com/terries_take, or,
http://mailman.japaninc.com/pipermail/terrie/

+++ WHAT'S NEW

With the recent DeNA crowdsourced content scandal (see news section),
the online publishing sector in Japan is at a crossroads. On the one
hand web content publishers are getting killed by "functional" content
sites, like Facebook and Snapchat, and on the other hand they are
expected to maintain high editorial standards that only a few leaders
with pay walls can actually afford to maintain. This not a new trend and
started with the move from paper to online. It is fundamentally a
challenge to invent a new editorial model.

Now the online content space is so crowded with ex-paper publishers, the
bottom has fallen out of the advertising model as well. To give you some
idea of the economics of this: whereas a 50,000-100,000 copy paper
publication could ask clients for JPY350,000~JPY500,000 for a page of
advertising, a CPM (cost per thousand) of about JPY5,000, that same page
online sold through a programmed ad bidding site now only brings a CPM
of JPY10~JPY100. Obviously a traditional publishing model will struggle
to keep a staff of reporters and editors with this level of income, and
in fact they now need to reach about 1,000~10,000 times as many consumer
eyeballs to earn the same revenues as before.

Practically speaking, then, the reality of online ad pricing pretty much
eliminates advertising as operating income for most niche publishers.

To stay in the game, they have several choices:
1. They can stay in their familiar niche and remain experts, but need to
create a new and somewhat disconnected business to support themselves.
This (continuing to publish) doesn't make sense as a logical business
decision, but if as a publisher you're passionate about your niche, it
is an option. Usually these support  businesses will involve consulting
or expert input in some form. As an example here in Japan, we can now
see outdoors magazines managing hiking and adventure tours for their
readers.
2. The publisher can stay in their field but make the niche bigger by
servicing a global audience and charging for premium content. We can see
this model at work in the entertainment news space, with sites such as
Rocket News. The main challenge is that this type of approach requires a
serious investment to support the new languages and markets, and of
course there are only a few front-runners. If you're late to the space,
most likely you'll wind up as an also-ran.
3. The publisher can relentlessly slash human production costs while
building reasonably acceptable content that serves as a database for
future reference (long-tail) usage, coupled with human edited "frosting"
(like a cake) stories that actually pull in the traffic. This approach
can be particularly effective if you have a "functional" website that
doesn't require much edited content, such as a game website, or a hybrid
one that only requires human input once (at the start).

--------- Need reliable, high-quality translation? --------

Tokyo-based translation company Honyaku Plus has been in business since
2003, serving a wide variety of corporate clients. Founded by two
experienced ex-pat translators, Honyaku Plus provides translations of
the highest quality between Japanese and English (as well as to and from
around 20 other major business languages.) All translation is carried
out by native speakers of the target (final) language who are
knowledgeable about the subject matter at hand. Translations are also
thoroughly checked and edited, and fully competent language
professionals are used at every stage of the process.

Our main areas of specialization are IT, science & technology,
international relations, business markets, stocks, sport, HR and
apparel, but we can handle material in any field. You can now order
translation (or interpreting services) from us in three easy steps,
simply by clicking here http://bit.ly/2gUEQEb, or by e-mailing us at
translator at honyaku-plus.com.

[...Article continues]

DeNA obviously opted for the third path, taking user-generated content
and doing away with the inconvenience of human editing and checking, but
using human curators to brush up the best material and thus draw traffic.

The DeNA scandal has several dimensions. Firstly there is the fact that
the firm's WELQ website was user generated and not professionally
checked - giving rise to all sorts of semi-fictional health posts. This
progressed to the revelation that the company also apparently encouraged
users to plagiarize existing content when posting. We assume that they
were trying to rewrite content via their contributors, thus increasing
both throughput of stories as well as claiming they were producing
original content so as to earn a better SEO ranking.

This rewriting approach will only work if you have a mass-distributed
checking function, the algorithms for which haven't been sufficiently
refined yet, OR, you make it a rule that only original content is
allowed and enforce it with humans. Our sister site www.japantravel.com
took this route and is now able to rely on spot checks to ensure
everyone gets the message. Unfortunately for DeNA, the site managers
were apparently actively encouraging plagiarism, or rewriting, which
puts it on shaky legal ground. Also shaky is the fact that in curating
the content, the company made itself appear to be the "source" of the
content. As a mass-content publisher (as all social media sites are),
this is a very sensitive area and most publishers are meticulous about
maintaining the perception that they are really just a forum for users,
not an officially published site.

Other prolific online publishers have found their own solutions to the
conundrum of how to reduce costs while maintaining human expertise. In
Japan one of the most successful is All About (https://allabout.co.jp/),
which has over 1,600 "Guides" - people who are experts in a particular
interest or activity or region, and who work part-time to create
articles and responses to readers. The term "successful" is a relative
one, though, because All About as a listed company states that its first
half results for FY2016 include a loss of JPY46m on sales of JPY4.5bn.
Probably they will repeat previous years by essentially breaking even -
but it's clear to see that even content companies at the top of their
game are struggling.

And this is why "functional" content sites such as multiplayer
role-playing games, dating, and social apps where you can read about
your mom showing photos of the cat, can make so much money, because
there is no cost of editing involved.

What does this mean for us as consumers in the future? Firstly the
phenomenon of fake news sites in the USA is just a taste of things to
come. If you can't write the truth because it's too expensive, why not
just make it up and sell it as fact-like entertainment? It doesn't take
much to see that this phenomenon of eschewing human editors other
production staff will quickly shrivel up the availability of trustworthy
news sources and therefore our ability to get multiple viewpoints as
well. The DeNA scandal demonstrates that trustworthiness is little value
in the current online economy.

Instead, the future's trustworthy sites will be those that learn how to
monetize you as a visitor without using sponsors, or who have
successfully moved to a secondary source of income related to their
expertise rather than their content. A good example would be our sister
site, www.japantravel.com, which originally was established to monetize
from ads served to high levels of traffic. There is of course income
from inbound travel ads, but it's seasonal and not dependable, so today
the business mostly makes money out of travel writing services and a
travel agency it established. Yes, these are very different businesses
to publishing - but they all have the common denominator of beneficially
serving the million-plus people a month coming to the site - and more
importantly, they allow the continuation of the publishing business itself.

...The information janitors/

***------------------------****-------------------------***

--- Japan Travel Inbound Travel Professional Services -----

Japan Travel's inbound company travel professional services team now
serves incentive and group training logistics and support. We assist
your headquarters HR teams in hosting your foreign employee groups in a
successful program in Japan. Our services include: hotels,
transportation, meals (including special diets), entertainment,
activities, help desk support, telecommunications, guest speakers, and
of course the core training (delivered by our professional training
services partners). We work on a menu-basis, providing as much or as
little as your management team needs to get the project done.

If you have a group needing assistance, we invite them to contact us at:
tours at japantravel.com.

Or visit our pages at:http://bit.ly/29c2eG5

+++ NEWS

- Element 113 named Nihonium
- DeNA crowd-sourced content sites in trouble
- Lifetime ramen discount for elderly who give up licenses
- Household spending down again for 8th month in a row
- Lower government tax take in FY2016

=> Element 113 named Nihonium

Japanese scientists who spent the better part of ten years producing a
new lab-only element with a half life of less than 1000th/second were
rewarded for their perseverance when the element was formally added to
the period table, bearing the name Nihonium. The 2012 proof of a 2004
discovery of Element 113, a radioactive substance temporarily named
Ununtrium, started a small "flood" of discoveries of similar temporary
elements around the world, resulting in four new elements being added to
the table. (Source: TT commentary from phys.org, Dec 1, 2016)

http://bit.ly/2gPfIf0

=> DeNA crowd-sourced content sites in trouble

Web publishing company DeNA has been the target of an online backlash
after accusations of false and hyped consumer-generated content. DeNA's
problems started after its WELQ health website was found to have
medically inaccurate information, posted by other users of the site. The
crowdsourced content was curated in large volumes and used to feed
search engines so as to drive traffic. In addition to wrong information,
much of the content was also plagiarized. ***Ed: The problem of how to
quality control crowdsourced content is highly relevant to us, and we
cover the subject in today's Take.** (Source: TT commentary from
asia.nikkei.com, Dec 02, 2016)

http://s.nikkei.com/2h1rjHj

=> Lifetime ramen discount for elderly who give up licenses

Aichi-ken is trying something new to get elderly residents to surrender
their licenses - a lifetime discount of 15% at any Sugakiya ramen
outlet. The move is an attempt to reduce the surge in traffic accidents
being caused by elderly drivers with borderline dementia. Currently 17m
senior citizens aged 65 or older have valid driver's licenses and
presumably are using them. In contrast, only 270,000 people (2% of
seniors) have given up their licenses. ***Ed: Rather than a 15% discount
on an unhealthy food, maybe the government should just bite the bullet
and make public transport completely free for all seniors, providing
they give up their licenses? A good portion of them live in the cities
anyhow.** (Source: TT commentary from munchies.vice.com, Dec 2, 2016)

http://bit.ly/2gChKRV

=> Household spending down again for 8th month in a row

In a disappointing set of economic figures for October, the nation's
household spending fell for the 8th month in a row, dropping about 0.4%
from October 2015. The previous month, September, was far worse, with a
fall of 2.1% over the same month last year. Economists say that the
depressed spending is linked to poor weather hurting consumer demand.
***Ed: We don't think this is rocket science. Tight-fisted Japanese
companies are not increasing wages and so families are stuck on the same
rates as last year. In the meantime, fresh food, which is not included
in the inflation numbers, has risen considerably in price and people
need to eat. As a result, there isn't much left for discretionary
spending.** (Source: TT commentary from bloomberg.com, Nov 28, 2016)

http://bloom.bg/2h73eTp

=> Lower government tax take in FY2016

The Ministry of Finance is forecasting a reduction in its FY2016 tax
take, from JPY57.6trn to JPY55trn or less. This is the first estimate
cut since 2009, and comes from the unexpected strengthening of the yen
for most of this year. The drop is not enough to derail the governments
pump priming plans, and indeed it expects to cover the shortfall with
money originally allocated for servicing debt, which has now become
cheaper to repay. ***Ed: The problem isn't so much the tax take these
days, it's the unstoppable rise in social welfare costs for Japan's
swelling aged citizens.**. (Source: TT commentary from
the-japan-news.com, Dec 03, 2016)

http://bit.ly/2gPpjTh

NOTE: Broken links
Some online news sources remove their articles after just a few days of
posting them, thus breaking our links -- we apologize for the inconvenience.

***------------------------****-------------------------***

--------- Micro Loans Program in South Pacific ------------

SPBD and MicroDreams seek to combat poverty in the South Pacific by
enabling women to become entrepreneurs. These women apply for small
loans, as low as US$120, to launch, grow, and maintain small businesses.
Previously, many of our clients did not have a stable source of income
to support their families. We work alongside these hardworking women,
teaching them essential business and financial skills to expand their
businesses and generate steady income and improve their quality of life.
With our program, these women turn dreams into reality as they reap the
rewards of their efforts.

Read about our remarkable clients
http://www.microdreams.org/success-stories. You can also donate to the
program at: http://www.microdreams.org/donate-today.

+++ UPCOMING EVENTS

--------- Om Shanti Om by Takarazuka Revue ----------------

Check out the glamorous Takarazuka Revue, a renowned style of
performance with an impressive history spanning over 100 years. Hankyu
Railways, the owner of the troupe, is inviting spectators to share their
views on the show and future expectations in order to successfully
promote Takarazuka to international people. Answer a simple
questionnaire in exchange for a 1,000 yen discount and a free programme
booklet. So don't miss this opportunity to experience a new vibrant
Japanese performance.

Dates: January 13, 1:00pm, January 14, 3:00pm, January 15, 11:00am & 3:00pm
Venue: Tokyo International Forum Hall C, 3-5-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda, Tokyo
Price: ¥2,000 (B-rank seats)
Tickets & Reservations: https://goo.gl/ElZtvZ

Reservation Deadline: Wednesday, January 4th, 2017

Title: "ICA JAPAN BONENKAI - THURSDAY 15TH DECEMBER 2016"
Details: Complete event details at http://www.icajapan.jp/