Terrie's Take 931 (Tourism Edition) - Wasted Opportunity at Sydney World Travel Expo

Terrie's Take terrie at mailman.japaninc.com
Mon Feb 12 07:41:13 JST 2018

* * * * * * * * TERRIE'S (TOURISM) TAKE - BY TERRIE LLOYD * * * * * *
A bi-weekly focused look at the tourism sector in Japan, by Terrie
Lloyd, a long-term technology and media entrepreneur living in Japan.
(http://www.terrielloyd.com)

Tourism Sector Edition Sunday, Feb 11, 2018, Issue No. 931

SUBSCRIBE to, UNSUBSCRIBE from Terrie's Take at:

+++ Wasted Opportunity at Sydney World Travel Expo

Life is full of interesting surprises, and currently I'm writing this
edition of my Tourist Take from Sydney, Australia. Three weeks ago I was
approached by Liberta Inc's CEO, Keijiro Sawano, to assist with a
regional revitalization initiative called Heartland. I agreed and in so
doing put together a series of seminars that will cover Australia, New
Zealand, the UK, and Germany. We have just delivered the first set here
in Sydney, and next week travel to Auckland. It's been a great learning
experience so far - especially eye-opening has been the difference in
attitude by Australians towards buying travel.

http://bit.ly/2EhSc5F [Heartland URL]

One of the first outputs of Sawano's Heartland project has been a 6-day
(5 nights) trekking experience in the vicinity of Mt. Aso, to help the
nearby Minamiaso community affected in the April 2016 magnitude 7
earthquake in Kumamoto, to recover through inbound tourism. Sawano is
creating local "slow travel" tours as a strategy to keep visiting
tourists in the area longer, and of course consuming local products and
services.

Slow travel is a tried and true strategy used by local revitalization
projects around the world, however, in Japan the strategy hasn't been
that successful. Mostly this is because they are unable to create
compelling "content" that encourages visitors to re-tell their
experience to their friends. The best recent example of a failed slow
travel strategy was the many millions (of dollars) spent by the Japanese
government to encourage foreign visitors to go to Tohoku after the
devastating 3/11 earthquake there. They tried food, festivals, and at
one point even a free 3-year visitors visa to any Chinese visitors game
enough to go there for one night. But even with this basic requirement
there were very few takers, mostly on account of fears of the radiation
problems at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

Yeah, OK, maybe that example is less of a content problem and more one
of primal fear...!

Anyway, Sawano should certainly have more luck with his walking tours in
Aso, because:

1) Countryside and mountain route trekking in Japan has become
extraordinarily popular with Australian and UK tourists in the last 2
years. Partly this is because of the determined efforts of a few
pioneers in the genre, but mostly (as I was told by a number of
Australian expo travel agents) it's because of a 2016 TV mini-series by
UK actress Joanna Lumley, who traveled throughout Japan and documented
her interactions with local people. Either way, romantic routes such as
the Nakasendo and Kumano Trail are getting crowded with visitors looking
for a glimpse of Japan's fascinating past, coupled with the opportunity
to meet local "real" Japanese.

[Continued below...]

--------- From Veggie Burgers to Carrot Cake --------------

Our commitment at Alishan Organics is to give our customers the best of
western organic foods, but prepared with a Japanese twist. That's why
our menus cover such a broad range of styles and tastes. If you're just
getting to know us, why not visit our cafe by the river in Saitama? That
way you can try out a variety of dishes and decide for yourself. Choose
from an Amy's organic pizza straight from the oven, a mouthwatering
veggie burger packed with seasonal greens and reds, or if you're feeling
chilly, a filling vegetable curry with rice. And although we're healthy
minded, we don't skimp on desserts. Favorites include Jack's scrumptious
carrot cake, vegan brownies (of course with vegan icecream), and baked
banana cheese cake.

Our Cafe: http://bit.ly/2m0r8z7
Our new online store: http://bit.ly/2v8gRpi

2) Now that there are enough foreign visitors who have walked the
Nakasendo (anecdotally we were told about 10,000 people a year now) the
word-of-mouth advertising is starting to spread, and certainly we see
this in the inquiries coming in to Japan Travel's agency team. This
new-found popularity is causing enthusiasts to starting looking for new
routes and discoveries - like Sawano's offerings.

3) There is virtually no nuclear threat in the Aso area as the nearest
operating nuclear power station is about 180km to the Southwest, in
Sendai, Kyushu. This is about 30km further than the Fukushima Daiichi
plant is north of Tokyo. And of course foreign tourists are still
thronging the capital.

4) The Aso area makes for a great visit experience. Thanks to a lack of
concentrated population, the region was largely spared during the War
and as a consequence there is a remarkable number of ancient and/or
traditional buildings preserved there - adding up to a satisfying dose
of history and immersion for visiting tourists.

BTW, if you want to look up the percentage of cities that were damaged
by bombing during WW2, this link is pretty interesting...

http://bit.ly/2EjfbNM [Bombing of Tokyo and Other Cities]

But back to the Sydney visit...

The trip was timed to coincide with the World Travel Expo in Sydney,
held out at the Sydney Olympic Park grounds and hosted by Australian
travel behemoth Flight Centre Australia [Australian spelling]. I do have
to say that the Australians like taking their overseas holidays... the
main hall at the expo was teaming with people who'd braved the long
journey (several hours by train due to local track work) and heat.

The Flight Center folks certainly know their market, and it was
noticeable how they had dozens of Flight Center travel consultants
lining the perimeter of the exhibition hall, answering questions and
recommending tours to customers lining up (at times) 3-4 people deep. I
couldn't help wondering why, with the Internet, this type of
human-driven sales service was really necessary, but obviously from the
long lines the hype and excitement works. Crowd psychology and all
that... certainly the mood was very upbeat, energetic, and impulsive.
One could almost say it was a feeding frenzy.

Herein lies a very basic difference between how Australian and Japanese
average consumers buy travel. Australians, and of course I am
generalizing from this single event here, appear to buy travel the same
way they go to the supermarket. They study the destination first of
course, but when they are ready to buy they want a quick fix at a
compelling price. If you don't have what they want, they'll go buy it
from someone else who does. This, versus Japanese consumers, who want to
study things to death for 3-6 months first before making a decision.

It's easy to see why Japanese firms are struggling to sell travel to
non-Japanese consumers. They have missed the fact that you need to have
a wide range of products that appeal to each specific niche, and that
are ready to go when the customers are ready to buy. Apart from JTB and
Hoshino Resorts (a very savvy company) we didn't see any Japanese
private tour operators there. Instead, the Japanese presence was mostly
local government booths.

One small interaction I witnessed highlighted the awareness gap for me.
On the first day of the expo I was waiting for a colleague in front of
the Kansai booth (funded by a group of Kansai prefectural governments)
when an elderly trio of potential travelers of Chinese-descent came up
to ask for information and pricing on food tours in the Kansai. They
were specific that they wanted food tours - the Number One reason
tourists visit Japan - and yet the Japanese gentleman behind the counter
couldn't give them a single tour. Instead, he had to show them brochures
of various towns and onsens, which included pictures of restaurants and
meals on them. The frustration on the behalf of the trio was palpable,
and while they took the brochures they quickly moved down to the next
booth to ask the same question! This was an opportunity lost, and must
have been repeated hundreds of times over the course of the expo.

The reason why they couldn't get the product information they wanted is
that Japanese local governments don't want to be seen as favoring any
particular local companies, so they don't carry specific tours. Instead
everything is generalized and keyed to stimulating interest in the
region as a whole. What these local governments don't understand is that
Australian consumers already have a flood of information about Japan and
its regions, they are highly motivated to come (numbers are up 20% a
year for the last 3 years in a row) and they are past the inspiration
stage of the consumer journey. Instead, they are ready to buy actual
product. Just unfortunately, no one seems to be ready to sell them any -
other than JTB and Hoshino of course.

...The information janitors/

------------ Japan Travel Group Tour Services -------------

Japan Travel's Type-2 licensed travel agency business is one Japan's few
independent foreign-owned inbound DMCs. Our specialty is looking after
groups of 10-30 people, and we have already assisted schools,
businesses, special interest organizations, and extended family groups.
If you are responsible for managing an inbound company incentive tour or
management training, we can help create unique experiences from a blend
of memorable destinations, dining, activities, guides, and transport
options.

If you have a group needing assistance, we invite them to contact us at:
tours at japantravel.com.
Or visit our pages at: http://japantravel.co.jp/en/about/travel-agency/

END

SUBSCRIBERS: 6,336 members as of Feb 11, 2018 (We purge our list regularly.)

+++ ABOUT US

STAFF
Written by: Terrie Lloyd (terrie.lloyd at japaninc.com)

HELP: E-mail Terrie-request at mailman.japaninc.com with the word 'help' in
the subject or body (don't include the quotes), and you will get back a
message with instructions.

FEEDBACK
Send letters (Feedback, Inquiries & Information) to the editor to
terrie.lloyd at japaninc.com.

ADVERTISING INFORMATION
For more information on advertising in this newsletter, contact
ads at japaninc.com.

SUBSCRIBE
Get Terrie's Take by giving your name and email address at
http://www.japaninc.com/newsletters/free_sign_up, or go straight to

BACK ISSUES
http://www.japaninc.com/terries_take or,
http://mailman.japaninc.com/pipermail/terrie/

Copyright 2018 Japan Inc. Communications Inc.

----------------- Japan Inc opens up Japan ----------------

J at pan Inc authoritatively chronicles business trends in Japan. Each
posting brings you in-depth analysis of business, people and technology
in the world's third largest economy.

Visit www.japaninc.com for the best business insight on Japan available.