japaninc.com blog alert

jin at mailman.japaninc.com jin at mailman.japaninc.com
Fri Mar 27 15:50:11 JST 2009

The lastest blogs from www.japaninc.com

The end of the beginning <http://www.japaninc.com/node/3975>

By Tobias Harris

Ozawa Ichiro indicated, in a
tearful<http://blogs.reuters.com/japan/2009/03/25/ozawa-wipes-away-tears-but-not-doubts/>press
conference Tuesday evening,
that he will stay on as DPJ president despite the indictment of his chief
public secretary — but Ozawa's statement may have only been the end
of the beginning of the final act of Ozawa's long career...

Breaking down elitism <http://www.japaninc.com/node/3966>

By Takafumi Horie

The financial market spotlight fell on my old company Livedoor when I split
the company’s stocks by 100. That’s basically when public criticism of me
really began to build.

At that time, Waseda University’s Tatsuo Uemura and Michio Matsui, President

of Matsui Securities, were the most open critics of mine. In some cases, I
don’t
think I argued against much of the criticism. I used to think that it was a
really
adult approach to just let the ones who didn’t know what they were talking
about
talk...

For the Western press, Japan is always rising<http://www.japaninc.com/node/3971>

By Tobias Harris

Forbes and AP have run nearly simultaneous articles reviving the "Japan
rising"
meme that I thought had died with Abe Shinzo's government.

Tim Kelly of Forbes uses the occasion of the commissioning of the Hyuga —
previously mentioned in this
post<http://www.observingjapan.com/2007/08/japan-rising-watch.html>—
argue<http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/21/japan-korea-war-weapons-hyuga-business-tokyo-dispatch.html>that
the launch of Japan's "first
aircraft carrier since America dismantled the Imperial Navy a half century
ago"
is a landmark in Japan's "[creeping] away" from pacifism...