JIN-472 -- J@pan Inc Magazine, July 2008

jin at mailman.japaninc.com jin at mailman.japaninc.com
Wed Jul 2 11:09:24 JST 2008

J at pan Inc Newsletter
The 'JIN' J at pan Inc Newsletter
A weekly opinion piece on social, economic and political trends
in Japan.
Issue No. 472 Wednesday July 2, 2008, Tokyo

Every PBXL wireless phone comes standard with:
a big color screen,
a 03 Tokyo number,
voicemail,
and more!

Everything you expect from the best office phone system
on the market.

Call today! 03-4550-2557
Get your new phone system in 3 steps: http://www.pbxl.jp/plans

PBXL is Hosted Business Telephony
Monthly seminars at Cisco HQ: http://www.pbxl.jp/seminarstt
More about PBXL: http://www.pbxl.jp/aboutus2

J at pan Inc Issue 78, July 2008

The July edition of J at pan Inc magazine including our
marketing special feature is out now. Here are the highlights:

Deconstructing Dentsu
Japanese advertising agency giant, Dentsu, wields immense power
over media in Japan but what lies behind its success? And,
putting its size aside, how do its practices and methodology
compete in a market that is moving towards less traditional
methods of marketing and PR? Our writer talks to industry
professionals and uses his own personal experiences of the
company to paint an informed picture of how Dentsu works and
which of its methods might be less relevant in the future.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_dentsu

Also in the marketing special feature:

Marketing Luxury Brands in Japan
Jon Hoel looks at the marketing tactics of brands like Coach,
Louis Vuitton and high-end watch brands such as Arnold & Son.
He considers why the Japanese market is such fertile ground as
well as examining how 'challenger' brands such as H&M and Zara
might encroach on their territory by providing lower cost yet
high quality alternatives.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_luxury_brands_in_japan

Marketing 101: P&G
Sarah Noorbakhsk examines P&G's long history in Japan and puts
the spotlight on its diverse and evolving marketing techniques.
This online special extended version includes analysis of the
company's recruitment strategy as an additional marketing tool.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_marketing101

Tokyo Queues For You
Queuing is nothing special in Japan. Every day, television
programs show long lines of people queuing for up to one hour,
even in front of regular noodle shops, only to finish their
food within less than ten minutes. Now, the Tokyo branches of
the American doughnut chain Krispy Kreme are taking this
phenomenon to a new level.
http://tinyurl.com/5s5dbu

The Eyes of the Beholder
As a reseult of new levels of sophistication in terms of
marketing, from Web 2.0 to product placement, the interaction
between consumers and brands poses a challenge in terms of
measurement. CEO of Japan Market Intelligence, Andrew Thill,
discusses how new eye-tracking technology has been adopted by
the market research industry to measure consumer response in a
number of different ways.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_digital_age_consumer

Marketing Services Directory
Don't miss our comprehensive list of English language capable
marketing services in Japan
http://tinyurl.com/5zg53d

On the cover: The Healthcare Revolution
The healthcare industry in Japan is in a period of flux. The
ongoing migration of the population from rural areas to cities
combined with growing expectations concerning the convenience
and speed of treatment, has created a market for efficient,
urban medical centers that offer a one-stop shop with a range
of healthcare services available. We learned how Medical Hi-Net,
a consulting company who handle real estate, recruitment and
marketing, are bringing the medical mall to Japan.
http://tinyurl.com/6kwrof

---------- Metropolis and eigoTown.com Parties -----------

Metropolis - Tokyo's favorite lifestyle magazine and
eigoTown.com - Japan's premier English language learning
website - join together on May 10, 2008 to bring you
the Metropolis and eigoTown.com Party!

Roppongi hotspot Alife will host over 500 revelers for an
evening of fun with people from different backgrounds
coming together for eating, drinking and making friends.

CORPORATE SPONSORS WELCOME

Website: www.metropolis.co.jp/party

Other articles include:

Standing Out From the Crowd
Higher end retail banking is experiencing something of a boom
at the moment. Hugh Ashton looks at three foreign-owned banks,
HSBC, Tokyo Star Bank and Shinsei and compares their marketing
strategies, unique features and analyzes how they compete with
each other.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_retail_banking_in_japan

Bridging the Gap
Most descriptions of Arabia these days command superlatives:
The world's tallest tower; the world's first 7-star hotel; the
world's three largest man-made islands, shaped as palm trees.
The list goes on and makes the eyes boggle, and prospective
suppliers salivate. J at pan Inc looks at interaction between Japan
and the Gulf states and identifies where the synergies lie and
what the future might hold.
http://tinyurl.com/55o4yl

Going Up?
Remember the Schindler elevator disaster? This month's issue
covers the company's changing fortunes in Japan and takes a look
at the challenges the post-crisis management faced as wells as
the lessons Schindler learned about the Japanese market.
Includes an exclusive interview with new CEO of Schindler Japan,
Gerhard Schlosser.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_schindler_japan

CEO Interview: Fabrizio Lavezarri
We talk to the Representative Director of Armani Exchange Japan.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_fabrizio_lavezzari

Business Break & Trends in Japan
Our regular round-up of new businesses, IPO Watch and
trend news.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_japan_business_news

Measure for Measure
Industry and economic environment statistics, plus a focus on
innovative hotel group, Super Hotel.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_super_hotel

Exclusive Interview: Phillip Greenan
J at pan Inc talks to the Executive Director of the Ireland Japan
Chamber of Commerce.
http://tinyurl.com/6rpfa9

Can Japan Please Stand Up?
Japan's makes no secret of its ambition to become a permanent
member of the UN Security Council. We take at look at the status
of Japan's bid and its likelihood of success.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_japan_un-security-council

Inside Out: Business in India
Our column on emerging markets considers risks and
opportunities in India.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_business-in-india

The Perfect Suit
Kevin Mcgue goes on a journey round town and discovers the
finer points of bespoke tailoring.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_perfect-suit

The Best Dive this side of Izu
We head down to Hachijo-jima and discover its treasures below
the waves.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_scuba-diving-hachijo-jima

Arrivals & Departures
Who's coming and going in the international business
community here in Japan.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_arrivals-and-departures

Classic Crossword
It just got harder!
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_crossword

Back & Forward
Ken Worsley's satirical take on the economy.
http://www.japaninc.com/mgz_july_2008_back-and-forward

I hope you enjoy this issue, our first as a monthly for a while!

Peter Harris
Editor-in-Chief

J at pan Inc - Managing Editor/Entrepreneur

J at pan Inc magazine, the publication for foreign entrepreneurs
and businesspeople in Japan is seeking a Managing Editor with
strong entrepreneurial instincts. Not your run-of-the-mill
editing position, we require someone with strong editorial and
management experience to both manage an editorial and production
team to turn out Japan's largest English-language business
monthly. The successful candidate would also be expected to
shape the magazine to become a proactive player in the foreign
business community. Think content involving the world's largest
companies and business development involving some of Japan's
most enterprising businesses -- an unlikely combination but an
exciting opportunity to make your mark in Japan.

Remuneration will be industry competitive and prospects
excellent.

To apply, please send your resume, covering letter and
any relevant clippings to: terrie at japaninc.com

++EVENTS

Marcus Evans Events - Supported by J at pan Inc

3rd Annual LNG World, 15th - 16th July 2008, Tokyo
www.marcusevans.com/html/eventdetail.asp?eventID=13569
This event focuses on key operational aspects of LNG business and
current market dynamics to succeed in this competitive market.

'J at pan Inc readers are entitled to a 10% discount upon
registration with Ms. Esther Wong.'
Contact: +603 2723 6736 Email: estherw at marcusevanskl.com